Live maps

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lordfrosty, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordfrosty

lordfrosty Supreme Athiest

just wondering if the live maps will come back or not. find it very useful with dual screens. cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Unless someone has stated otherwise and, once again, not told me: The Live Maps tend to eat up alot of resources. It has some memory leak. Or something rediculous like that.
  3. live maps will be making a return and tested... they chew up bandwidth... if they continue to do so we may make the update time a larger amount.. (say once ever 12-24 hours)

so expect them back in the next pack... although also expect them to be tested and dont be suprised if they become not so live.. live maps.. :)

Cheers
    -Jack
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lordfrosty

lordfrosty Supreme Athiest

a 12 hour update sounds good, would be good for finding unexplored areas that havent been drained of resources ect.
  5. Chardie

Chardie The Blockerator.

*** has a livemap that updates pretty much constantly. It does chew a lot of bandwidth, but has its advantages.

However a 5 minute update would probably suffice and not chew up bandwidth nearly as much, and wouldnt be as stagnated as a 12-hour update. Every 12 hours it would maybe never show you which players are on the server, and the world could change a lot in that time. 12 hours is long enough for me to not bother or remember checking it, because the intervals are too long. If it was 5 minutes per update I could run it on a second screen (or another tab) and get an idea of whos online, whats changed and which areas are busy.

It would be great also, if its possible, to have a live map of the Nether and Twilight maps. Im not sure what the PvP status is for those worlds and I dont want the livemap to exploit that, but in a place like the Nether where stuff is constantly farmed it would be nice to check whats left and which places are untouched.
  6. I did say I wasnt informed, but I was close. I mean. The main reason they were disabled the last bunch of times was for a memory leak. Good to finally get some clarity.
  7. as pvp is enabled players would most likely be turned off.. (had a few people use it to hunt people to pvp)(*cough* malk *cough*) its more to see where residences are than anything :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Instead of a Live map which works fine in minecraft but apparently not FTB, how about a map that updates every 24 hours.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.